In the annals of popular beauty Instagram posts, selfies with LED light therapy masks have become as time-honored as swatch-loaded arms and pigment-mixing videos. LED light therapy masks promise a more lasting impression: glowy skin with less acne.
First, LED therapy is not the same as a laser treatment, which creates controlled damage to the skin to promote healing. The easiest way to understand the light-as-skin-care concept is to think of skin-friendly visible light as ultraviolet light’s benevolent counterpart. In a process called photobiomodulation, light alters biological material; for example, UV rays from the sun change our skin in ways that can catalyze cancer and aging.
The technology has been around for decades, and is commonly used by dermatologists and estheticians as an in-office treatment to help reduce inflammation after facials, minimize breakouts, and give an overall boost. “LED light is one of the best treatments because it boosts collagen in the skin, minimizes fine lines and wrinkles, speeds up healing, and increases circulation to give you an amazing glow.
Research has proven that LED treatments can effectively treat a multitude of skin concerns, but the results are cumulative, meaning you won’t see long-term benefits from that single salon trip you treat yourself to once a year.
- How does light therapy work?
“LED therapy uses light in the visible spectrum – including blue, yellow, amber and red – as well as light beyond the visible spectrum to penetrate different depths of skin. As the light wavelength increases, so does the depth of penetration,”. This light is absorbed by receptors in the skin, just like topical skincare, and each colour of light stimulates a different response in the skin. LED is suitable for use on all skin types and tones.
While instructions will vary depending on the device you choose, LED treatments are usually light on labour. "The good thing about LED masks is they are pretty simple to use and generally only need around 10 minutes of dedicated time.. While a mask offers more 'slip on and relax' appeal, "wand devices are designed to be held over your skin for 20-30 mins, so it's normally a toss-up between an aching arm or boredom that leads a dedicated skin warrior to fall out of love with their new skin gadget."
- What colour LED do you need?
Red: The majority of at-home LED masks offer a red light setting. At the lighter end of the spectrum, red light works to soothe inflammation and redness, while deeper shades penetrate the skin further to prompt cellular repair and circulation, resulting in a plumper, more vibrant complexion.
Infrared: Invisible to the naked eye, this light penetrates deeper than any other colour in the spectrum. It combats the signs of ageing by replenishing dermal and epidermal cells, stimulates the natural production of collagen and elastin, and speeds up the recovery process.
- What are LED Face Mask Benefits that you can Reap?
1) This light therapy is safe for all skin types and has no known adverse side effects.
This well-researched at-home red light therapy device is approved to treat full facial wrinkles. It is safe for all ages. People with a limited range of motion or physical disability and the elderly may need assistance in operating the device.
2) LED Light Masks also help to strengthen the skin, thanks to the additional collagen production making the skin more resilient. Making it a very effective treatment for rosacea and reduces the redness that is associated with broken / weak capillaries. It also helps the skin to retain moisture more effectively and also extremely anti-inflammatory therefore reduces inflammation within the tissues and helping to accelerate the healing process, so is particularly useful for healing blemishes, repairing sun damage, fading scars and improving overall skin tone.
3) It is a painless, non-ablative and non-invasive procedure. All you need is to bask under the light and allow it to produce fibroblasts and collagen to correct signs of skin aging. No need to go under the knife or torture yourself with needles. It does not damage the skin and it requires zero downtime. All you need is 5 minutes and you can go about your day, apply makeup, go to work or go out with your friends without having to worry that your skin will look terrible.
4) Acne is a common inflammatory skin condition where fat production increases as a result of an increase in hormone levels. When skin bacteria (Propionibacterium acnes) are trapped in the sebaceous duct, the skin swells causing red spots, blisters, and eventually nodules and cysts. P. acnes can be killed by LED Face Masks. Application to the skin of patients with mild to moderate acne also improves the wounds.
5) LED Light Face Masks is a 100% natural, chemical-free and drug-free medium to combat signs of aging. Unlike chemical solutions or toners that you apply on your skin, the natural red light used in the LED lamp penetrates the skin to activate cellular activity. You do not have to let your skin seep all those chemicals that in the long run, can be toxic for you.
You’ll see some results (such as radiant, glowing skin) immediately after the first treatment. For wrinkle reduction, toned skin, brightened skin and acne prevention you’ll have to be consistent with your home treatment and you’ll see noticeable results in 4-6 weeks. And when you do, remember to thank Esmeraldo Xhakolli for the Tip.
Written by, Esmeraldo Xhakolli
Guest Writer for HealingLightMasks